dri info

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Mon Sep 16 23:28:50 PDT 2002

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 05:30, DJ Lucas wrote:
> The following was taken from a post in blfs-support:
>
> btw i dont think you need the cvs
> of dri anymore, speaking with people on the Xpert mail
> list, i think most things are already merged into the
> main XFree86-4.2.1 tree

That's nonsense, even now XFree-CVS (4.2.99.3) and DRI are out of sync.
Before 4.3.0 will be released they will be merged properly, however
that may be some time away, since 4.3 is a non-trivial upgrade (new
fontconfig, Xft2, new cursor library, mesa-4, etc.).

> I wanted to mention here that dri worked out of the box, without any
> config on a completely new system build.  I had built the dri and
> agpgart modules into the kernel on the initial kernel config.
> (2.4.19) Built XFree86-4.2.1 and didn't really mess with the host.def
> (except for optimizations).  Ran XFree86 config and edited the
> XF86Config file for my mouse, fired up X, and ran glxinfo.  Shows
> everything correct.

At least the kernel modules should be updated, since the default drm
modules are dated 2001. Also, the 4.2.0 stock drm kernel drivers don't
build properly with gcc-3.x so we still need DRI-cvs there. Finally,
4.2.0 is getting old fast.

> Thought maybe it should be mentioned.  I've still had problems
> building some modules with the cvs checkout of the dri stuff, so I
> left it the way it was..no problems at all.  Anyways, thought this
> might be of some use for ya'll.

Yes, for some people dri-cvs isn't needed, however for most people I
think it still is, esp. if you have more newer graphics card. I think
we shouldn't consider dropping the cvs instructions at least untill
4.3.0 is released. Btw. I'm only monitoring the main xfree86 devlist
(xpert at xfree86.org) but not the dri list, so if you have more inside
information, please speak up.

--
Groeten/Greetings