gdk-pixbuf

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Sep 10 23:28:15 PDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 07:52:25PM -0400, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> This is sort of a weird one, if I do a make in the gdk-pixbuf-0.11.0
> directory in console mode, it fails with:
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
> Scan failed
> make[2]: *** [scan-build.stamp] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gdk-pixbuf-0.11.0/doc'
>
> >From an xterm it's fine.  Notice that that's in the *doc* directory,
> too.  Strange.

Known gtk-doc brain damage. But I thought it was fixed...

<checks changelog>

-----------
* gtkdoc-scangobj.in: we now default to calling g_type_init() to
initialize the type system, rather than gtk_init(). This means you
don't need an X connection to build the docs any more. Hurrah!
Also added a '--type-init-func' argument so you can change the
function to be called. GTK+ uses --type-init-func="gtk_type_init(0)".
-----------

That should be for 0.9

Some general facts about gtk-doc (sure, some exceptions tho')

 * it is not needed when building from tarballs
 * the docs are already built inside the tarball
 * it mainly applies to dev API docs (useless for most users)
 * for some braindead reason, if configure finds gtk-doc in the path
   it will try to rebuild the docs (they're already built by the
   package maintainer! - why build'em again!)

 * best policy - always pass --disable-gtk-doc to Gnome packages (the
   pre-built docs will still be installed - just saves the pain of
   having to build'em)

Greg
(hard core LFS'er but only a casual BLFS observer so feel free to
 ignore my ramblings here :-)

PS - why such an ancient gdk-pixbuf version? After using Gnome since
almost the beginning (approx' 4 years), I can assure you the Gnome ftp
site is an abomination. Just coz sumthing is in a so called "stable"
directory doesn't mean it is the most stable.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org