/tmp/*

Gregory Davis GregDavis at umbc.edu
Sat Oct 26 08:18:33 PDT 2002

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I would argue against removing the file in startx.  It you use C-A-F2 to
> start another virtual colsole and 'forget' and do a 2nd startx, it would
> do the wrong thing.   I agree that the lock file should be in /var/lock,
> but I don't remember the thread about wiping /tmp.  The FHS standand
> says:  "Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp
> are preserved between invocations of the program."  It also says: "it is
> recommended that files and directories located in /tmp be deleted
> whenever the system is booted."
> and "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
> temporary files or directories that are preserved between system reboots."
>
>   -- Bruce

I still don't understand why one would even have to delete anything at all!
I've been running LFS for about a year and a half, from version 3.1.  I
have never done anything like that.  The fact that there are lockfiles
being leftover there indicates something is wrong with your program, eg. it
or the system crashed, or both.  Its probably better that you delete that
file manually so that it reminds you something bad happened beforehand, and
you exercise caution in starting the system.  If the system ever crashes
and I have to hard reboot, the first thing I do when the system is back up
is soft reboot so that everything cleans up after itself.  Those lock files
may be a pain in the "shorts", but they are that way for a reason.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org