/tmp/*

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sat Oct 26 06:31:56 PDT 2002

Larry Lawrence wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:16:47 +0000, Matthias Benkmann wrote:
>

>>Instructions to add
>>
>>rm /tmp/.X0-lock
>>
>>(but *not* rm -r /tmp/* for the reasons you can find in the archived
>>thread(s) about this issue)
>>to cleanfs should be in the X related parts of BLFS.
>>
>>Of course, the better solution would be to fix XFree86 (or get the
>>maintainers to fix it) so that it creates its lockfiles where they belong
>>according to the FHS: in /var/lock.
>>
>>MSB
>>
>>p.s.: I have never wiped /tmp on boot and don't remove the X lockfile on
>>startup and I've never had problems.
>>

>Could you not add that instruction to startx (first line).  It would
>nullify the very reason for the lock, to protect a running X, but it is
>the builders choice (which means I don't think it makes good BLFS
>policy).
>
>I think I may have seen this error once, but isn't it clear that a lock
>file is preventing X from starting, i.e. "X is already started". I don't
>mind notations about errors that don't make sense, but it's harder for me
>to support notations about clear errors.

I would argue against removing the file in startx.  It you use C-A-F2 to
start another virtual colsole and 'forget' and do a 2nd startx, it would
do the wrong thing.   I agree that the lock file should be in /var/lock,
but I don't remember the thread about wiping /tmp.  The FHS standand
says:  "Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp
are preserved between invocations of the program."  It also says: "it is
recommended that files and directories located in /tmp be deleted
whenever the system is booted."
and "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
temporary files or directories that are preserved between system reboots."

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org