/tmp/*

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 26 05:14:30 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 09:16:47 +0000, Matthias Benkmann wrote:

> Instructions to add
>
> rm /tmp/.X0-lock
>
> (but *not* rm -r /tmp/* for the reasons you can find in the archived
> thread(s) about this issue)
> to cleanfs should be in the X related parts of BLFS.
>
> Of course, the better solution would be to fix XFree86 (or get the
> maintainers to fix it) so that it creates its lockfiles where they belong
> according to the FHS: in /var/lock.
>
> MSB
>
> p.s.: I have never wiped /tmp on boot and don't remove the X lockfile on
> startup and I've never had problems.

Could you not add that instruction to startx (first line).  It would
nullify the very reason for the lock, to protect a running X, but it is
the builders choice (which means I don't think it makes good BLFS
policy).

I think I may have seen this error once, but isn't it clear that a lock
file is preventing X from starting, i.e. "X is already started". I don't
mind notations about errors that don't make sense, but it's harder for me
to support notations about clear errors.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org