/tmp/*

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Oct 26 02:15:59 PDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:38:06 +0100 Ian Molton <spyro at f2s.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Once again, I bring up this topic.
>
> We really need to remove the contents of /tmp when we boot.

No, just the lockfiles therein.

> I just (again) had X-windows refuse to start because of this.
>
> It saves a lock file (/tmp/.X0-lock) and wont start until it is removed.
>
> We should clean it along with /var/run

Instructions to add

rm /tmp/.X0-lock

(but *not* rm -r /tmp/* for the reasons you can find in the archived
thread(s) about this issue)
to cleanfs should be in the X related parts of BLFS.

Of course, the better solution would be to fix XFree86 (or get the
maintainers to fix it) so that it creates its lockfiles where they belong
according to the FHS: in /var/lock.

MSB

p.s.: I have never wiped /tmp on boot and don't remove the X lockfile on
startup and I've never had problems.

--
Vacuum cleaners suck!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org