Fwd: Shadowfax (LFS server) is in need for a new home

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Oct 24 14:09:53 PDT 2002

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Shadowfax, the main linuxfromscratch.org server, is in trouble. Our current
> host VA Software will cease to provide colocation for the server at the end
> of this month (so that means 7 more days) because of reorganizations in their
> IT department. All free-colocated servers that are not part of the
> SourceForge.net network will be unplugged and sent back to their respective
> owners. So that means in about two weeks I'll have the LFS server sitting at
> my house.

I was afraid this might happen with the current state of the economy.  :/

(some snippage)
> So, development of LFS will be impeded since Jesse's box has as a strict
> bandwidth limit (he gets charged when he goes over 10 GB/month, currently
> we're doing 23 GB/day so we need to cut down seriously, though cutting out
> FTP and HTTP will probably leave us with only a few dozen MB's a day. Email
> doesn't take all that much).

I'm sure other people are going to suggest this, but somehow I suspect
that you could eliminate at least 75% of that by flushing the tarball
directory and replacing it's contents with a shell script that invokes
wget or lynx to download everything everything that used to be in there...
even taking into account files with mirror sites.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org