make install-strip and -g

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Oct 19 07:19:10 PDT 2002

I noticed that some packages include the 'make install-strip'.  If it's
available, should we be using it instead of 'make install'?

If we are going to recommend stripping globally, can we protect the
exceptions (I remember one documented in the mailing list somewhere)?

On the same lines, do we try our best to stop the -g flag?  I think Bruce is
in favor of this and I'm not against it in principal, but I have not done
it or tested it in practice, especially with unset CFLAGS.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org