Wiser ifdown-eth0 script is needed

Vassili Dzuba vassilidzuba at nerim.net
Thu Oct 10 14:37:39 PDT 2002

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 13:09:34 -0500
Larry Lawrence <larry at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> DJ Lucas wrote:
>

> > On a side note, I had started planning on a couple of changes to
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions that would do some runlevel checking and check
> > also to see if programs are in fact currently running (without using the
> > loadproc
> > and killproc functions).  I really don't remember what all the specifics
> > were
> > because I haven't had the time to work on it in the past few weeks.
> >
> > DJ Lucas
>
> That sounds interesting.
>
> I am reading both threads.  I had not intended to revisit this so soon, but
> there is never a good time.  I'll review any solution that does not require
> LFS to change.  (What most people don't understand is that LFS DID make a
> major change for BLFS between versions 1.08 and 1.09).  The bottom line is
> they don't have a problem, we (BLFS) do, and I can even argue that it is
> not a problem.  As I believe you put it best when you said, it's sloppy.
>
> I have been very surprised that this has not become a FAQ on the support
> mailing list. We really expected that anyone installing dhcpd would ask why
> dhcpd was not shutting down properly, which would have made it a good
> candidate for the LFS fAQ.

Hi,

As I understand, there is no strong argument for running sendsignals before
the K80network in LFS, while there is a significant argument (in the BLFS
point of view) for executing K45network before sendsignals.

As the usual user has enough occasions to get his/her share of problems when
building a LFS/BLFS configuration, i would vote to eliminate the problem
by  moving K80network to K45network (or something analogous) in the LFS.

Otherwise, we could argue that each bug is an occasion to learn something...
Then let's put a lot of bugs in the LFS ;-)

> I am not adverse to changing the book, but Mark laid down some ground rules
> for this section (no program specific scripts) and I will abide by those as
> well.
>
> Larry

Vassili Dzuba
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org