Wiser ifdown-eth0 script is needed

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 10 11:09:34 PDT 2002

DJ Lucas wrote:

> On a side note, I had started planning on a couple of changes to
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions that would do some runlevel checking and check
> also to see if programs are in fact currently running (without using the
> loadproc
> and killproc functions).  I really don't remember what all the specifics
> were
> because I haven't had the time to work on it in the past few weeks.
>
> DJ Lucas

That sounds interesting.

I am reading both threads.  I had not intended to revisit this so soon, but
there is never a good time.  I'll review any solution that does not require
LFS to change.  (What most people don't understand is that LFS DID make a
major change for BLFS between versions 1.08 and 1.09).  The bottom line is
they don't have a problem, we (BLFS) do, and I can even argue that it is
not a problem.  As I believe you put it best when you said, it's sloppy.

I have been very surprised that this has not become a FAQ on the support
mailing list. We really expected that anyone installing dhcpd would ask why
dhcpd was not shutting down properly, which would have made it a good
candidate for the LFS fAQ.

I am not adverse to changing the book, but Mark laid down some ground rules
for this section (no program specific scripts) and I will abide by those as
well.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org