Wiser ifdown-eth0 script is needed

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Thu Oct 10 09:38:54 PDT 2002

"Larry Lawrence" wrote in message
> Csaba Henk wrote:
>
> >  Hi!
> >
> > BLFS-book v. 20021009, txt version, lines 6786-6793 (dhcp client
> > configuration):
> > again a crash is reported... Maybe there should be written sg like
> >
> > #...
> > if ps -C $DHCP_PROG
> > then
> >  $DHCP_PROG $DHCP_STOP
> > else
> >  true
> > fi
> > evaluate_retval
> > #EOF
> >
> > Csaba Henk
> >
> Test it on dhcp AND dhcpd for both shutdown and going from runlevel 3 to
> runlevel 2 and back and post the results.
>
> The goal is to have generic instructions.  Modifing the instructions for
one
> program's deficit seems confusing from an educational standpoint.  The
> archive are clear that moving the network shutdown in the rc.0 and rc.6
> directories will clean up this "error".  DJ's hint is even clearer.
>
> As to the "error" message, it isn't, it's an "attn" message, which should
be
> clear to the user as to what happened. (I'm using lfs-dev's definition of
> user)  Fot those it isn't clear to, they need to understand it, if they
are
> going to get educational value from the experience.  As a parallel, we
> don't try to eliminate the compiler 'warnings'.
>
> Larry

Larry, not really wanting to bring up an old knocked around thread, but
the issue or moving sendsignals was also mentioned on lfs-dev yesterday.
I posted a couple of replies, not supporting or denouncing this change, only
informational.  I'm kind of curious as to what others have to say on that.
At anyrate, if that change is made, then we won't have to hear this one
agian. :)
If not, then perhaps it should be mentioned in the FAQ when written.  Of
course
we don't give the specific answer, but only a pointer as to why they might
see
these types of errors in the shutdown scripts.

On a side note, I had started planning on a couple of changes to
/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions that would do some runlevel checking and check
also to see if programs are in fact currently running (without using the
loadproc
and killproc functions).  I really don't remember what all the specifics
were
because I haven't had the time to work on it in the past few weeks.

DJ Lucas

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org