Wiser ifdown-eth0 script is needed

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Oct 10 07:37:50 PDT 2002

Csaba Henk wrote:

>  Hi!
>
> BLFS-book v. 20021009, txt version, lines 6786-6793 (dhcp client
> configuration):
> again a crash is reported... Maybe there should be written sg like
>
> #...
> if ps -C $DHCP_PROG
> then
>  $DHCP_PROG $DHCP_STOP
> else
>  true
> fi
> evaluate_retval
> #EOF
>
> Csaba Henk

Test it on dhcp AND dhcpd for both shutdown and going from runlevel 3 to
runlevel 2 and back and post the results.

The goal is to have generic instructions.  Modifing the instructions for one
program's deficit seems confusing from an educational standpoint.  The
archive are clear that moving the network shutdown in the rc.0 and rc.6
directories will clean up this "error".  DJ's hint is even clearer.

As to the "error" message, it isn't, it's an "attn" message, which should be
clear to the user as to what happened. (I'm using lfs-dev's definition of a
user)  Fot those it isn't clear to, they need to understand it, if they are
going to get educational value from the experience.  As a parallel, we
don't try to eliminate the compiler 'warnings'.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org