BLFS use of /opt

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 9 11:11:25 PDT 2002

dagmar at speakeasy.net wrote:

>Then by your standard, Mark Hymers would be off his rocker, and I agree
>with you.  Mozilla doesn't go into /opt by default.  Gnome doesn't go into
>/opt by default.  Only Qt and KDE even attempt to put themselves there.

I agree with this point, if the package fits nicely in /usr and doesn't
create any directories under /usr, then it should go to /usr. The book
places packages in /opt since it makes upgrades easier. IMO, package
management is not the aim of the book. At the begining of the book, the
various package management schemes should be mentioned and the user
should be urged to decide on the package management to use to make
installation/upgrades easier.

>There's very little that will go into /opt/package more easily than it
>will /usr.  Let us continue to use /opt only for packages that don't "play
>nice" with the rest of the system. (i.e., keep all their own toolsets,
>don't link to much of anything outside their directory excepting for
>glibc, etc).

I vote for the same.

--
Tushar Teredesai