BLFS use of /opt

Gregory Davis GregDavis at umbc.edu
Tue Oct 8 05:51:53 PDT 2002

Mark Hymers wrote:

> As I mentioned in my previous email, I want to draw up a policy on the
> BLFS use of /opt.
>
> At the moment we use it in several places and ways (--> = symlink)
>
> /opt/qt --> /opt/qt-version (qt-3.0.5)
> /opt/kde --> /opt/kdeversion (kde303)
> /opt/gnome
> /opt/gnome2
> /opt/mozilla
> /opt/java/j2sdk --> /opt/java/j2sdk-version
>
> Which to my mind is slightly messy.
>
> I think I'd quite like to standardise on the qt way albeit slightly
> modified.  Now, I know that people can vary from this (and indeed they
> are encouraged to do it their way) but I'd like the book to be
> consistent, so I propose something along these lines:
>
> /opt/PACKAGE-MAJVER --> /opt/PACKAGE-VER
>
> so, from above we'd have:
>
> /opt/qt-3 --> /opt/qt-3.0.5
> /opt/kde-3 --> /opt/kde-3.0.3
> /opt/gnome-1 --> /opt/gnome-1.4
> /opt/gnome-2 --> /opt/gnome-2.0.WHATEVERITISNOW
> /opt/mozilla-1 --> /opt/mozilla-1.0.1
> /opt/java-1 --> /opt/java-1.4.0
>
> The instructions would use the proper path such as:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/qt-3.0.5 etc etc...
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/kde-3.0.3 etc etc...
>
> But when we suggest adding things to /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/man.conf
> we'd add:
> /opt/qt-3
> /opt/kde-3
> etc
>
> I'm quite happy to make these changes as long as I get the OK from each
> of the other editors, I'll also write the page to go in the
> Introduction.
>
> Does anyone have any objections to this or can forsee any problems it
> may cause?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

Why don't you leave it up to the reader.  Of course, you should warn of the
consequences of using both.  This thread touches on most of them.  LFS
makes reference to FHS in the chapter in which directory structure is
explained.  If there are 2 ways to go that are more or less equally good,
why not leave it at that, and refer to that path as $BLFSROOT which can
mean /usr/local or /opt.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org