[Galeon-user] Re: [Galeon-devel] Re: gcc3 build available

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Mon Oct 7 12:07:58 PDT 2002

On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, kelledin at skarpsey.dyndns.org said:
> On Sunday 06 October 2002 05:18 pm, you wrote:
>> (i?86 only, alas... there doesn't seem to be source available
>> for a Linux-hosted JDK on other platforms, even those for
>> which JDK binaries are available.)
>
> Just out of curiosity, what happens if you try to cross-compile
> it (i.e. use gcc/g++ -b)?

That's not how cross-compilation is normally done ;) but I know what you
mean.

>                             It might fail if j2sdk compiles some
> tools and then uses those tools to compile other
> tools...otherwise it *should* work.

It might well do that, but I haven't checked, because one thing that
jumped out at me was that there is assembler in the SPARC-specific parts
of the code that makes Solaris system calls. Well done, Sun, nice design
decomposition there; your design is already decomposing :(

I could probably fix that, but I don't have the JCK and can't possibly
afford it so there's no way I could be sure the resulting JDK actually
worked properly.

So as a result I have this one piece of non-free non-source-available
software on my system :(

--
`It's hard to properly dramatize, say, the domestic effects of Dad's
 bank overdraft when a giant writhing kraken is levelling the city.'
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org