BLFS use of /opt

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sun Oct 6 12:06:29 PDT 2002

Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
> Richard Lightman wrote:
> >* Tushar Teredesai <tush at yahoo.com> [2002-10-06 16:04]:
> > >
> > > The problem with putting packages in /opt is that many things may need
> > > to be changed - path, library path, manpath, infopath, path for pkgconfig.
> >
> > There is supposed to be /opt/bin, which is full of links to things in
> > /opt/kde/bin, /opt/gnome/bin, ...
> >
> > The same sort of thing should happen for /opt/lib, /opt/man,
> > opt/info, ...
> >
> > This way you should only have to add opt once for each thing like path,
> > instead of adding one entry for each package in path.
>
> Yes, but for large packages, such as KDE and GNOME, this is quite
> awkward because of the large number of packages.  Additionally, if a new
> version of a package has a new executable, that has to be added
> manually.  Overall this is not a optimal way of doing things.

Maintaining /opt manually would be a nightmare. But then so would
installing any large package manually. I use the attached script. I
think it is complete except for info which requires a better under-
standing of the dir file than i've bothered to gain.

If you can use it in BLFS, feel free. I have long wanted to see good
/opt handling in BLFS but don't have the time to contribute it.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org