LFS-4.0 released

Billy O'Connor billy at oconnoronline.net
Sun Oct 6 03:14:52 PDT 2002

markh at linuxfromscratch.org (Mark Hymers) writes:

> On Sat, 05, Oct, 2002 at 06:47:14PM -0600, Gerard Beekmans spoke thus..
> > Hi,
> >
> > LFS-4.0 has been released. Enjoy!
>
> In which case it's probably time to define (this time *definately*)
> what needs doing before BLFS-1.0: (you might want to read this with
> tabstops set at 4!)
> --> The following sections are still empty: (PART: Page)
>     Introduction:	Asking for help and the FAQ
> 					Going Beyond BLFS
>     Post-LFS:		/etc/profile and ~/.bash_*

> 					nessus

I have a nessus section half done in my sandbox.

> 					tripwire

Difficult, I'm still trying to get tripwire to build with gcc-3.2, STL
problems.

> 					Configuring syslog
> 					Recompiling vim post-X (I'm thinking of removing this)
> 	Connect:		ISDN - We may have to drop this if no-one on the
> 						list has use of ISDN to write the page (I don't)
> 					PPPoE - Likewise
> 	ServerNet:		courier - I think we may remove this

I haven't started this section, but am using the package on a test
server for other reasons.  Depending on the freeze date I could get it
in.

> 	Content:		apache + php; Jesse is working on these
> 	KDE:			kdoc, kde-bindings, kde-sdk, kdevelop, kdm
> 	Xsoft:			gnucash, magicpoint and gimp

Gnucash, the ultimate in package dependencies.  I'd like to take a
stab at this one.

> 	Multimedia:		avifile, mplayer, xine
> 	PST:			Most of it ;-)
>

> --> Things which don't have specific pages but which I think need
> 	adding:
> 	Introduction:	BLFS use of /opt(*)
> 	Post-LFS:		note on installing Linux_PAM headers only
> 						(for those who want to install OO but don't need PAM)
> 	PST:			OK, we have two choices with this section: we either
> 					drop it entirely or pad it out slightly; I suggest
> 					just adding cups, ghostscript, sane and xsane which
> 					I have notes on here (I think Billy was working on
> 					cups anyways)

The software yes, the section no, I have Mark's notes on it, but Bruce
informed me he had it on his TODO.  Either way, I don't think there'll
be a problem getting it in on time.

> OK, there's more there than I thought there was going to be.  Still, in
> comparison to the size of the book we're nearly there.
>
> Comments?

I'd like to get a couple of more security related packages in,
especially since tripwire may require major surgery to ever build with
gcc-3.2.

Do you have a date in mind?  New Year's day?  :)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org