BLFS use of /opt

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Oct 6 06:59:57 PDT 2002

As I mentioned in my previous email, I want to draw up a policy on the
BLFS use of /opt.

At the moment we use it in several places and ways (--> = symlink)

/opt/qt --> /opt/qt-version (qt-3.0.5)
/opt/kde --> /opt/kdeversion (kde303)
/opt/gnome
/opt/gnome2
/opt/mozilla
/opt/java/j2sdk --> /opt/java/j2sdk-version

Which to my mind is slightly messy.

I think I'd quite like to standardise on the qt way albeit slightly
modified.  Now, I know that people can vary from this (and indeed they
are encouraged to do it their way) but I'd like the book to be
consistent, so I propose something along these lines:

/opt/PACKAGE-MAJVER --> /opt/PACKAGE-VER

so, from above we'd have:

/opt/qt-3 --> /opt/qt-3.0.5
/opt/kde-3 --> /opt/kde-3.0.3
/opt/gnome-1 --> /opt/gnome-1.4
/opt/gnome-2 --> /opt/gnome-2.0.WHATEVERITISNOW
/opt/mozilla-1 --> /opt/mozilla-1.0.1
/opt/java-1 --> /opt/java-1.4.0

The instructions would use the proper path such as:

./configure --prefix=/opt/qt-3.0.5 etc etc...
./configure --prefix=/opt/kde-3.0.3 etc etc...

But when we suggest adding things to /etc/ld.so.conf and /etc/man.conf
we'd add:
/opt/qt-3
/opt/kde-3
etc

I'm quite happy to make these changes as long as I get the OK from each
of the other editors, I'll also write the page to go in the
Introduction.

Does anyone have any objections to this or can forsee any problems it
may cause?

Cheers,

Mark

"I never make predictions.  I never have and I never will."
     Tony Blair
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org