Change to book generation

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Sat Oct 5 11:05:47 PDT 2002

Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:

> Catering to obsolete software tends to delay adoption of standards
> complient software.  Why even try to support Netscape 4.x when 7.0 is
> available? <snip>

Netscape 7.0 is Mozilla. Mozilla is much slower than Netscape 4
which encourages its use on slower hardware. The same can be said of
Konquerer which requires the very heavy KDE. AFAIK, Opera displays
adds unless paid for not to mention being binary only. Other graphical
browsers (links 2, dillo) aren't yet mature. In short, yes, some
people still use Netscape 4.

> No one I know tries to be complient with NS2, NS3, IE2, IE3,
> or IE4 any more.  At what point do we say "We don't support that
> obsolete (fill in your old software) any more."?

In theory, HTML is designed so that pages using newer features remain
readable with older software and loose only prettiness. In practice,
HTML suffers from some careless design.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org