Change to book generation

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Oct 2 08:35:35 PDT 2002

Matthias Benkmann wrote:

>On Wed, 02 Oct 2002 09:23:21 -0500 Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net> wrote:
>
>Mark Hymers wrote:
>

>>>We now produce valid HTML!
>>>

>>><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>>>
>>>with

>>>charset=iso-8859-15">
>>>

>>I'd think this would pass XHTML strict since it was generated from xml,
>>

>First of all, the same document will not usually validate as HTML and
>XHTML because the syntax is different in many respects.

Not really that different.  There are 12 diferences defined at w3c.  The
most important are making all tags and attributes lowercase, quoting all
attribute values, and closing all tags.  See
 http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#diffs

> So if the document
>validates as HTML 4.01 transititional it is unlikely that it validates as
>Secondly, being generated from XML sources does not mean it's
>automatically valid XHTML.

That's true, but I would think it could be set up to be valid xhtml if
it isn't already.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org