Change to book generation

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Wed Oct 2 08:25:36 PDT 2002

Mark Hymers wrote:

>On Wed, 02, Oct, 2002 at 09:23:21AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs spoke thus..
>

>>><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
>>>

>>I'd think this would pass XHTML strict since it was generated from xml,
>>but the header needs to be:
>>
>><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>>         "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>>

>This header is inserted by htmltidy automatically.  I didn't look into
>making it "strict".

The header given first above is actually very weak.  It doesn't include
the dtd like the standard says it should and as you probably know, html
Transitional allows very sloppy code.  It allows depreciated tags and
attributes, and unclosed tags like <li> and <p> etc.  I believe html
tidy will handle xhtml if the header is already there but I'm not sure.

>As Adam said, it's the same with the euro symbol added.  I thought that
>we may as well use it just in case we ever write anything about getting
>the euro symbol working (not that I intend to; just in case!)

That's fine.  Now that you mention it, I remember.  :)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org