Compilation of wxWindows / wxGTK

dagmar at speakeasy.net dagmar at speakeasy.net
Tue Oct 1 13:39:31 PDT 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 rmunn at pobox.com wrote:

> If you ever include wxWindows (http://www.wxwindows.org) or wxGTK (the
> GTK binding of wxWindows) in the BLFS book, here's what I had to do to
> get it to compile.

This package is _so_ tangled up with respect to zlib and Freetype2 from
XFree86 it's just sad.  I tripped and fell over this one about six months
or so ago, and after running it through the devel list, about the best
thing that can be done is to simply build XFree86 to use the system zlib
an system Freetype2 libraries (as explained in the hint I wrote).

What's happening (in the case of both those things) is that when you have
a second version of either of those libraries in the system, wxWindows
gets tangled up trying to use the headers from /usr/include instead of
/usr/X11R6/include (and vice versa!) at different points, which results in
freakishly confusing errors popping up.

The somewhat less compilaion-intensive solution is to rip out the zlib.h
and zconf.h from /usr/X11R6/include for a little while and start your
build of wxWindows _completely_ over.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org