LFS via RPM: Ch5 & Ch6 packages

jacog at isdial.net jacog at isdial.net
Wed Jan 16 12:30:30 PST 2002

Small victories.

I've completed the spec files for the LFS Ch 5 (bootstrap) and Ch 6 files.
They are obviously not completely bullet-proof, altough they have been built
and is installed on my system. Quite a bit is still missing (for those
wanting to make any kind of contibution:)

1. A lot of these file have some comments/deviations/TODO's in them
which needs attention. These might range from something a trivial, ie.
updating the package homepage URL to a bit more complex, ie. make sure
the package can compile on glibc < 2.2.x systems. (Ch 5)

2. The packages are finished, the finetuning not. The rest of Ch 6
detailing the configuration should be included in the various packages.

3. I need to sort out overlapping files between packages. For instance:
sh-utils & util-linux both install "/bin/kill" &
"/usr/share/man/man1/kill.1.gz", which one is right? (This is a trivial
example, mostly the overlaps come on the man pages between packages
and somewtimes even binaries.)

4. Some binaries seem missing on my system, eg. "su" from sh-utils. This
gets built in another (later) package so it is problably not the end of
the world.

5. The HOWTO at http://lfs-via-rpm.sourceforge.net needs to be done
properly. I've just got quite tired of sending out the quickstart guides
and literally "plonked" in on the site.

6. I don't have RPM build dynamically yet ;) Can either grab the SRPMS or
write a spec from scratch. Will start building the spec from scratch
tomorrow.

7. Obviously need to build RPMS from later chapters, eg. Linux and
bootscripts.

8. Testing, testing, testing...

9. Much later, once I'm happy that there is a release that does 3.1
reliably (and have made a tarball of those specs), need to start
adapting the specs for the CVS version to get ready for LFS 4.0.

10. Start doing BLFS packages to sit on top of these;

11. Make a decision around making the packages more granular, ie. only
install the stuff you really need instead of everything in a single
package by default, eg. pkg (shared libs+binaries), pkg-devel (header+
statics), pkg_doc (info+man+doc) etc.

12. Feel free to send comments, patches, suggestions and anything
else you can think of.

13. etc, etc.

Just for those of you who are interrested, here are the outputs from my
rpm -qa: (bootstrap-pkg_name indicates Ch5 packages, the rest are for Ch 6.
On installation of the Ch 6 packages the Ch 5 ones are "obsoleted", i.e.
uninstalled first before the dynamic package is actually installed -
nice auto-cleanup.)

root:/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i386# rpm -qa
man-pages-1.43-01lfs
ncurses-5.2-02lfs
less-358-01lfs
perl-5.6.1-01lfs
bash-2.05a-01lfs
lfs-release-3.1-01lfs
bootstrap-rpm-4.0.3-01lfs
vim-6.0-02lfs
man-1.5j-01lfs
automake-1.5-01lfs
flex-2.5.4a-01lfs
libtool-1.4.2-01lfs
binutils-2.11.2-01lfs
ed-0.2-01lfs
kbd-1.06-01lfs
texinfo-4.0-01lfs
fileutils-4.1-01lfs
gzip-1.2.4a-01lfs
make-3.79.1-01lfs
netkit-base-0.17-01lfs
procinfo-18-01lfs
psmisc-20.1-01lfs
sh-utils-2.0-01lfs
sysklogd-1.4.1-01lfs
tar-1.13-01lfs
util-linux-2.11m-01lfs
lfs-passwd-3.1-01lfs
glibc-2.2.4-02lfs
mawk-1.3.3-01lfs
gcc-2.95.3-01lfs
groff-1.17.2-01lfs
autoconf-2.52-01lfs
lfs-filesystem-3.1-01lfs
bootstrap-linux-2.4.16-01lfs
findutils-4.1-01lfs
bison-1.28-01lfs
m4-1.4-01lfs
file-3.36-01lfs
bin86-0.16.0-01lfs
bzip2-1.0.1-01lfs
gettext-0.10.40-01lfs
diffutils-2.7-01lfs
e2fsprogs-1.25-01lfs
grep-2.4.2-01lfs
lilo-22.1-01lfs
modutils-2.4.12-01lfs
patch-2.5.4-01lfs
sed-3.02-01lfs
procps-2.0.7-01lfs
net-tools-1.60-01lfs
sysvinit-2.83-01lfs
textutils-2.0-01lfs
root:/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i386# rpm -qa | grep bootstrap
bootstrap-rpm-4.0.3-01lfs
bootstrap-linux-2.4.16-01lfs
root:/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i386#

That is about it :)