LFS FAQ Weekly Posting

Seth W. Klein sk at sethwklein.net
Mon Feb 18 17:25:23 PST 2002

Matthias Benkmann <matthias at winterdrache.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:56:20 +0100 Nicholas Dille <darkyeti at gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> > i think the problem is that most people feel too lazy to follow a cute
> > hyperlink which might even solve their problem in less time.
>
> I disagree.

Given the number of people who don't follow the cute hyperlink on the
web site (from which they get the book in the first place), i don't
know what you base this disagreement on?

> > posting the faq will hopefully force at least some of them to have a
> > quick look through it as they don't have to do anything but scrolling
> > down.
>
> But it's very annoying for the large majority who doesn't need to read the
> FAQ, especially if it's going to be a weekly posting. I would prefer it if
> everyone got a copy of the FAQ on his subscription to the mailing list

That is an idea i hadn't considered which might be good....

> and
> the only thing posted to the lists should be changes to the FAQ.

That is an idea i definitely did consider and expect to be forced to
implement as the FAQ grows.

> The FAQ
> is just too large for being posted weekly (ever heard of these slow things
> called "modem"?)

Yes. Actually, i use an old model of exactly that. Runs at 33.6 on a good
day. I've also heard of people paying for traffic by the byte. But i'd be
most concerned about what happens when that 35K hits linuxfromscratch.org
and is multiplied by couple thousand in the mail queue.

> and I've never seen any list or newsgroup with weekly FAQ
> postings

Hmm... In my limited experience...

+ The linuxmanagers list ( http://www.linuxmanagers.org/ ) posts their
  FAQ monthly.
+ rec.backcountry has these huge rambling "distilled wisdom" things that
  are posted, afaik, at least one a week.

On the other hand, once a week here might be a little often. Frequency
is something i considered, and i decided that expecting a newbie to wait
two weeks before starting a first install was a little much. Experience
may dictate differently.

> and in the case of the LFS lists, a lot of people get the FAQ 4
> times.

That is a problem. And unavoidable :( However...

In your original post, you mentioned, not posting the FAQ to *-dev.
lfs-dev definitely gets newbie subscriptions and posts, but blfs-dev
gets very little traffic at all. I will remove it from the list to
post to, so make that three times.

> With a weekly posting to 4 LFS lists I get more traffic from the
> FAQ that from all the redundant questions.

Three, now. But even with four, i wonder.... But as i say in another
post, i don't post it for you. I post it for newbies.

> The level of redundancy simply
> does not justify this massive FAQ spamming. I will definitely block the
> weekly FAQ postings and I think most people will do this, too, after 2-3
> weeks, which makes them completely futile.

Go for it. No reason to delete it manually when the machine can do so.

cheers,
Seth W. Klein
Life on the edge is nothing.  I live hanging from my safty harness rope.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org