LFS FAQ Weekly Posting

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Feb 18 12:02:13 PST 2002

On Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:56:20 +0100 Nicholas Dille <darkyeti at gmx.net>
wrote:

> i think the problem is that most people feel too lazy to follow a cute
> hyperlink which might even solve their problem in less time.

I disagree.

> posting the faq will hopefully force at least some of them to have a
> quick look through it as they don't have to do anything but scrolling
> down.

But it's very annoying for the large majority who doesn't need to read the
FAQ, especially if it's going to be a weekly posting. I would prefer it if
everyone got a copy of the FAQ on his subscription to the mailing list and
the only thing posted to the lists should be changes to the FAQ. The FAQ
is just too large for being posted weekly (ever heard of these slow things
called "modem"?) and I've never seen any list or newsgroup with weekly FAQ
postings and in the case of the LFS lists, a lot of people get the FAQ 4
times. With a weekly posting to 4 LFS lists I get more traffic from the
FAQ that from all the redundant questions. The level of redundancy simply
does not justify this massive FAQ spamming. I will definitely block the
weekly FAQ postings and I think most people will do this, too, after 2-3
weeks, which makes them completely futile.

MSB

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org