Solicitation for commentary on automake/autoconf/libtool/gettex use

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Aug 30 14:53:23 PDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:44:25PM -0500, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> libtool - Seems to be a no-brainer, because the latest version of
> libtool (1.4.2) seems to be working okay with everything.

It works but is buggy as hell. Redhat rawhide has some nice patches for
it. A nice set of build scripts for Gnome2 from CVS is jhbuild (in Gnome
CVS). It also includes the patches. The patches, amongst other things,
get rid of the "exploding link line" phenomenon. That is the one where
your build slows to a crawl coz the link line ends up looking like:-

-lz -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lz -lz -lm -lm -lm -lm -lm -lz -lz etc etc etc

> autoconf - Some people are using 2.13 still, but from what I've been
> automake - This is the one I worry the most about, since there appear to
> gettext - gettext-0.11.5 appears to be the leader at the moment, having

I have found that using the autotools deserves some special attention
as different projects have different requirements. 9 times out of 10 I
don't use the versions installed in my base LFS. For example, I end up
"sandboxing" the versions I need for a particular project. The last time
I compiled Gnome2 from CVS I did something like:-

autoconf-2.52             ----->  $HOME/autotemp
automake-1.4p5            ----->  $HOME/autotemp
libtool-1.4.2 (patched)   ----->  $HOME/autotemp
gettext-0.11.5            ----->  $HOME/autotemp