Proposal: hint about simple PPP config

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Aug 28 13:02:05 PDT 2002

* Sébastien Millet <sebastien.millet2 at libertysurf.fr> [2002-08-28 17:30]:
> Hello,
>
> attached to this memo is a proposed hint about simple PPP installation
> and setup.

Brave person. Modems are mostly standard, ISP are roughly the same,
but there are still enough differences to get you lots of support
questions. Here are a few answers, I hope you find them useful:

These were required  in /etc/modules.conf to get ppp to work as a
module. THey do not do any harm (to me), but I have no idea if they
are still required:

alias ppp-compress-21   bsd_comp
alias ppp-compress-24   ppp_deflate
alias ppp-compress-26   ppp_deflate
alias tty-ldisc-3       ppp_async
alias tty-ldisc-14      ppp_synctty

alias /dev/ppp          ppp_generic

Next the modem probably will not work first time. I found using minicom
was a pain, because you have to exit minicom to change the settings,
it bitches at you and hangs for a few seconds if you run it as root,
and you need to be root to experiment with other settings.

My solution was:

http://www.nezumi.plus.com/term/

I have tried getting technical support from 3COM/US Robotics. Although
they were very polite, offered all sorts of solutions, it was a
complete waste of time. They did not have a manual for my terminal
adapter, but I found the magic command to get the modem to output
the list of commands it understood, with explanations. This is not
a standard command, but it is worth a try:  at$

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org