Addition to kdebase instructions (Generating clean kdm config files )

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 20 18:00:08 PDT 2002

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Tushar Teredesai wrote:
>
>> It would be useful to add the following command to the book for the
>> user's first kde install
>> kdm/kfrontend/genkdmconf --no-old
>> This generates new config files that are not based on the xdm files.
>> The solved the problem of /opt/kde/bin/startkde not being found by kdm.
>
> Hmm.  Where does that get set?  In the install or in the original
> make? I was going to add kdm configuration to the book by just
> updating the PATH in .xsession as

> That seems a little easier.  Are there any other advantages to the
> instruction above?

The above instructions will make kde work even if the user does not have
a .xsession.
The default kdm files are installed during make install if there are no
existing files.
As per the README in /opt/kde/share/config/kdm, the default
configuration is pretty dumb, and they suggest checking out the above
script to install a better configuration file.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org