Gnome 2 stuff

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 19 19:30:04 PDT 2002

Greg Schafer wrote:

> Not a Gnome expert. I'm not even sure whether the BLFS goal is offer
> Gnome1 and Gnome2 or just Gnome2 by itself. And I haven't looked at
> Sawfish for a very long time (even for Gnome1) but I am pretty sure
> that a Sawfish themer would not be handled by Gnome2 itself.

Just found the answer to this one - Sawfish has a binder for Gnome's
control-panel to the themer. The trick was getting themer to build.

> Save yourself some pain. Drop Sawfish altogether and go with Metacity :)

I don't plan on using it (like kde so far), but somebody had to write the
instructions.  Choices, it's about choices. /repeat twice to remind myself.

> Sidenote - IceWM is a superb replacement for Sawfish in Gnome1.

Ah - memories, Redhat 5.1 with IceWM, my first view of Linux.

> Greg

I am trying to be as neutral as I can on Gnome vs Gnome2.  I ran into some
trouble because rep-gtk last version upgrade was to GTK2 without a tree
split - sawfish and libglade both split.

Development is sure to slow or cease on the GTK trees, but I found the GTK2
trees need testing and updates.

This area is just going to be a little painful for a while.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org