Gnome 2 stuff

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Mon Aug 19 16:22:58 PDT 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:33:08PM -0500, Larry Lawrence wrote:
> I think I found out why Mandrake went with Metacity.  I'll go slowly.
>
> libglade-2 -> rep-gtk-0.16 -> sawfish-1.1a  (new and improved)
> libglade-1 -> rep-gtk-0.15 -> sawfish-1.1   (GNOME)
>
> but: rep-gtk-0.16 only has the GTK-2 bindings and it libglade libraries
> don't work even if you move the la library and link the so library (which
> install did not do). What worked for me was:
>
> libglade-1 -> libglade 2. -> rep-gtk-0.15 -> rep-gtk-016 -> sawfish -1.1a
>
> but: rep-gtk-0.15 would not compile until I hacked it, so now I need look
> for a patch.
>
> All that to get a themer!
>
> Final question for the GNOME experts.  Is the themer really needed in
> sawfish for GNOME2?  Does GNOME2 take over that responsibility?

Not a Gnome expert. I'm not even sure whether the BLFS goal is offer
Gnome1 and Gnome2 or just Gnome2 by itself. And I haven't looked at
Sawfish for a very long time (even for Gnome1) but I am pretty sure
that a Sawfish themer would not be handled by Gnome2 itself.

Save yourself some pain. Drop Sawfish altogether and go with Metacity :)

Sidenote - IceWM is a superb replacement for Sawfish in Gnome1.

Greg
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org