Gnome 2 stuff

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Aug 19 13:33:08 PDT 2002

Mark Hymers wrote:

> On Sun, 18, Aug, 2002 at 10:13:47PM -0500, Larry Lawrence spoke thus..
>> The inter-relations of GNOME have given me a headache.
>
> Larry, if all you got from the dependency web of GNOME is a headache and
> not some sort of nasty growth in your brain, I'm *impressed* :-)
> (My brain always tries to crawl out my ears when I look at it)
>
> Mark
>
> PS - I'll try and move zlib and libglade later this week (I'm at work
>      full time all week until Friday)

I think I found out why Mandrake went with Metacity.  I'll go slowly.

libglade-2 -> rep-gtk-0.16 -> sawfish-1.1a  (new and improved)
libglade-1 -> rep-gtk-0.15 -> sawfish-1.1   (GNOME)

but: rep-gtk-0.16 only has the GTK-2 bindings and it libglade libraries
don't work even if you move the la library and link the so library (which
install did not do). What worked for me was:

libglade-1 -> libglade 2. -> rep-gtk-0.15 -> rep-gtk-016 -> sawfish -1.1a

but: rep-gtk-0.15 would not compile until I hacked it, so now I need look
for a patch.

All that to get a themer!

Final question for the GNOME experts.  Is the themer really needed in
sawfish for GNOME2?  Does GNOME2 take over that responsibility?

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org