question about updates...

Tushar Teredesai tush at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 16 17:11:04 PDT 2002

quinte wrote:

>in my opinion i do always install several packages into a seperate
>folder like:
>/usr/local/mysql/VERION#
>do a symlink to it which is named current
>and in the scripts i use the sysmlink... this makes it for me easyer to
>upgrade... if this way will be used in future blfs or not i dont know...
>but i think we should discuss about it

Instead of manually doing the symlinking and changing path and other
variables, why not use one of the symlink package managers mentioned at
<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/faq/#AEN181>?

I don't think the book will ever include any sort of package management
owing to the various options available.

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377