qmail-1.03

Richard Lightman richard at nezumi.plus.com
Fri Aug 16 10:58:37 PDT 2002

* Bob Kimmel <rkimmel at princeton.edu> [2002-08-16 18:32]:
> IIRC, since I am starting it from a bootscript with loadproc,
> this allows qmail-start to return a meaningful return value to
> the startup script, rather than returning before it does
> anything.  But maybe I'm not recalling correctly, and I just
> didn't want to create a new script file to run from the
> loadproc command.
>
> In any event, it's easy to take it out, just delete lines
> 279-295 from the patch file.

OK, you have your reasons, and I have mine. I can live with that ;-)

> Let's call licensing GPL.

I am not sure about that.

If I understand it correctly, Dr Bernstein has no objection to you
creating, using and distributing a patch:

        http://cr.yp.to/softwarelaw.html

The GPL includes the right to distribute binaries created from the
source (if you make the source available).

Dr Bernstein is not happy about binaries being distributed that
are modified from his original:

        http://cr.yp.to/distributors.html

So I think you cannot give people the right to distribute modified
binaries because Dr Bernstein has forbidden that, and so you cannot
distribute this patch under GPL.

I am not a copyright lawyer, so please do not take my word for it.
As we both like his software, I think we should make an effort
to support Dr Bernstein's right to choose how his software is
distributed.

Richard
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org