question about updates...

Larry larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Aug 16 09:02:50 PDT 2002

On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 10:40:55AM +0200, quinte wrote:
> what if a user want to upgrad eg. the mysql? is it clean to just install
> the new version over the old one or what should someone do if he first
> installed it from blfs?
>
> in my opinion i do always install several packages into a seperate
> folder like:
> /usr/local/mysql/VERION#
> do a symlink to it which is named current
> and in the scripts i use the sysmlink... this makes it for me easyer to
> upgrade... if this way will be used in future blfs or not i dont know...
> but i think we should discuss about it
>
> cya
> Stephan
>
> --

All my instructions are for first installs.  I usually update over the
old version using the instructions as a guide and skipping unnecessary
steps.  The only trouble we found so far is gcc-2.95 to gcc-3.x.  Some
old files were left behind and caused problems. So far, kde and java are
being installed with versions and it looks like most /opt installations
will do this.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org