qmail-1.03

Bob Kimmel rkimmel at princeton.edu
Fri Aug 16 08:53:13 PDT 2002

> * Bob Kimmel <rkimmel at princeton.edu> [2002-08-16 08:02]:
> > I wrote a patch to qmail that does two things:
> >
> > (1) Puts the executables in /usr/sbin instead of /var/qmail/bin
> >
> I could use that. I have /usr/sbin mounted ro, but that does not
> protect qmail even using a simlink for /var/qmail/bin.
>
> The same would apply to /var/qmail/control -> /etc/qmail

Well, the patch was small until I modified it to do this as well :-)
After this modification, /var/qmail/queue is the only item in
my /var/qmail directory, so the "queue" directory could be
removed as well and its contents moved into /var/qmail directly,
but I haven't incorporated that in the patch yet.

Testing on this new aspect of the patch is very minimal, but it
seems to work fine on my system - SMTP on port 25, authenticated
SMTPS on port 465, and POPS on port 995 all work fine with the
new configuration.  Note, however, the files are all still
installed in /var/qmail, and must be moved manually or by
script subsequent to the "make setup check".

> > (2) Has qmail-start fork a daemon
> >
> Why? Cann't you just use the shell's '&' to start a separate process?
> I would have to reverse this part of your patch, or (on my system)
> init would restart qmail-start every few seconds.

IIRC, since I am starting it from a bootscript with loadproc,
this allows qmail-start to return a meaningful return value to
the startup script, rather than returning before it does
anything.  But maybe I'm not recalling correctly, and I just
didn't want to create a new script file to run from the
loadproc command.

In any event, it's easy to take it out, just delete lines
279-295 from the patch file.

> If this matters to you, how separating the patches?

FTP server is SNAFU at the moment, so attaching bzip'd file.
Let's call licensing GPL.

BK

Bob Kimmel
Bendheim Center for Finance