Fluxbox

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Fri Aug 9 16:06:46 PDT 2002

Larry Lawrence wrote:

>Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>I was just reviewing the book and was reading the Fluxbox page.  Is the
>>download really only 380K and the install 21.6M?  Seems a little
>>unbalanced to me.
>>  -- Bruce
>>

>I just confirmed it on a second machine.  There are several 2KB cc souce
>files expanding to 500 KB object files.  The final executable is 5 MB.

I was curious so I downloaded and did a ./config --prefix=/usr
*--enable-kde --enable-gnome* && make.
My optimizations are -march=i686 -O3 and I do have combreloc set as default.

I got:

[root at lfs3 ~]# ll -h fluxbox-0.1.10.tar.bz2
-rw-------    1 root     root         298k Aug  9 17:52
fluxbox-0.1.10.tar.bz2

[root at lfs3 ~]# du -sh fluxbox-0.1.10
5.1M    fluxbox-0.1.10

Quite a bit smaller than 21.6M.  I also got:

[root at lfs3 ~/fluxbox-0.1.10/src]# ll -h fluxbox
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         582k Aug  9 17:55 fluxbox

I think we need to reexamine this again.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org