Install location for WM's

Christian Mudra mudra at informatik.uni-kl.de
Fri Aug 9 02:03:14 PDT 2002

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 10:37:49PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Dieter Schmitz wrote:
> >IHMO windowmanager are X stuff and should be installed in /usr/X11R6.
> >AFAIK KDE/GNOME big optional packages with a lot of own libarys so it
> >should be installed in /opt.
> >
> My feelings are that 'it depends'.  twm is in /usr/X11R6/bin/twm (as are
> a lot of traditional X applications) but I'm not sure how many related
> files it has.

I'd also install window managers under the /usr/X11R6 tree. Window
managers without X11 doesn't make much sense, and most of them do a
quite clean installation, having own ..../lib/<WM> directories.
So I see no reason to install them under /usr, thus having binaries
with dependencies to /usr/X11R6. And where is the logic behind
having a twm in /usr/X11R6/bin and an e.g. fvwm2 in /usr/bin/fvwm2,
so more or less equal programs with similar functions residing completely
different?
And I also vote against the installtion under /opt of two reasons:
- (this was already told before) the WM doesn't have that much files
  in their installations to 'earn' an own directory tree
- in several big installations I saw the /opt tree is exported via NFS,
  and especially WMs should really stay local (this argument doesn't fit
  for most LFS workstation installations, I know)

Just my two cents.

Christian.

Christian Mudra              Just remember what your mother always told you:
mudra at informatik.uni-kl.de       "When you open windows you let in bugs".

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org