Install location for WM's

Kelledin kelledin+BLFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Thu Aug 8 14:15:31 PDT 2002

On Thursday 08 August 2002 03:56 pm, Mark Hymers wrote:
> Right, /usr/X11R6 is probably wrong:
>
> "/usr/X11R6: This hierarchy is reserved for the X Window
> System, version 11, release 6, *and related files*"
>
> How do we interpret *related files*?

I interpret "related files" as optional font files, RGB files,
etc.--files that are related to X11, but may be used by *any*
X11-based applications, even X11 applications that aren't aware
of such files at compile time.  IMO widget sets and window
managers do not fall into this category.

> The only problem I have with shoving them in /opt is that
> everytime you install a window manager you end up with a high
> level directory and also that most WMs don't have so many
> files that it's (IMO) worth having a seperate /opt/<WM>
> directory for them.
>
> /usr is the catchall I suppose.

As it is, I'd say /opt/$WMNAME is a fitting destination for any
window manager that is extremely large, extremely messy, or
creates its own widget set.  This primarily includes all
revisions of gnome and kde.  I tend to follow this convention
for other window managers just for consistency's sake, but
that's just a not-so-strong personal preference on my part.

FWIW, I also like to put qt 3.x in /opt/qt3, simply because it's
extremely large and messy, and it likes having its own directory
(a la $QTDIR).  Creating an extra high-level directory right
under /usr (like /usr/qt) is strongly discouraged (even
forbidden?) by the FHS; the FHS makes an exception for
/usr/X11R6 only because XFree86 has traditionally existed there
for ages.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"