Install location for WM's

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Aug 8 13:56:27 PDT 2002

On Thu, 08, Aug, 2002 at 09:46:48PM +0100, Mark Hymers spoke thus..
> On Thu, 08, Aug, 2002 at 07:52:09AM -0500, Larry Lawrence spoke thus..
> > Where is the default installation area for window managers.  They seem to
> > default to /usr/local (which we move to /usr), but I'm tending to treat
> > them like KDE and Gnome and install them in /opt.  I would like to solicit
> > opinions and get a ruling from Mark.
>
> URGH.  This one is nasty.
>
> Erm..  I *think* /usr is correct but I'm still contemplating /usr/X11R6.
> Let me find my printed copy of the FHS and I'll get back to you on this.

Found it (under my bed).

Right, /usr/X11R6 is probably wrong:

"/usr/X11R6: This hierarchy is reserved for the X Window System, version
             11, release 6, *and related files*"

How do we interpret *related files*?

The only problem I have with shoving them in /opt is that everytime you
install a window manager you end up with a high level directory and also
that most WMs don't have so many files that it's (IMO) worth having a
seperate /opt/<WM> directory for them.

/usr is the catchall I suppose.

The answer - I'm not sure yet (sorry).  I'll wait and see what other
people say before making a final decision (although obviously given the
deadline I need to make it quickly).  Anyway, at least I'm being a
benevolant dictator if I solict opinions first.

Comments on what people think - and do you agree with my interpretation
of the FHS comments on /usr/X11R6?

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org