reiserfsprogs removed

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Tue Aug 6 09:14:22 PDT 2002

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Mark Hymers wrote:

> On Mon, 29, Jul, 2002 at 12:30:49PM -0700, Timothy Bauscher spoke thus..
> > Reiserfsprogs has been removed from the LFS-Book.
> >
> > Have a *beautiful* day.
>
> /me smirks.
>
> On this subject, how do people think we should deal with the
> filesystems?  Is it just a matter of "this is how to install
> reiserfsprogs" or should there be a page at the start of the chapter
> pointing out that you need to take this into account at points p, l, a,
> c and e in the LFS build (random choice of letters there!)?

Is there something special about it? Don't we just change .config,
make linux, boot, resize/change disk partitioning, make file system,
copy what's needed/desired to new partition, (possibly) change
fstab, (possibly) change lilo, (possibly) install lilo, (possibly) reboot,
while (possibly) completely trashing our single-disk newly installed LFS
system when we have no backup/recovery floppy yet?

What's the BFD?  :-))  Of course, the above is "off the top of my head" -
I may have overlooked something that is complex or difficult or risky.

On a serious note, if they have a sufficient amount of space in
unused/available partitions, I think a plain old "cookbook" approach
including instructions for adjustments for the kernel and various other
config options should suffice. No need to refer them to the LFS book.
It only gets really "iffy", IMO if they are trying to replace their
existing boot/root partition(s).

So, for a simple "add the capability to the system and take advantage
of available partitions", I think just "cookbookit".

I would really have to think about the other situation. But, I really
dont' want to!  8-O

> Any comments?
>
> Mark
>
> --
> Mark Hymers                                    BLFS Editor
> markh at linuxfromscratch.org
> --

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com