host.def file

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Apr 30 09:15:47 PDT 2002

Chris Lynn wrote:
>>Hi,
>>

> Hiya :)
>

>>You know the host.def file you created *ages* ago for the gnome hint?
>>Well, as you may know, we're going to use a commented version for the
>>BLFS book.  This bit of discussion came up on blfs-dev:
>>
>>-------------------------------------
>>

>>>#define LinuxMachineDefines  -D__i686 -D__i686__ -D__pentiumpro
>>>-D__pentiumpro__
>>>
>>>[Why should we do this?  The -march switch above should take care of
>>>it.]
>>>

> Ah!  Wel it has to do with how some of the XFree code is layed out.  Yes the
> #define DefaultGcc2i386Opt *should* take car of it, however some of the
> drivers make use of the p-pro and i686 instruction sets, and to know if to
> use
> those bits of the code, it looks for a -D (a compile time #define switch).
> Now for the most part its not a big deal, however mca and I were in a
> "Optimise to the MAX" phase at the time. ;-)

Chris,
   I did a recursive grep on the entire xc directory and could not find
an instance of 686 or pentium in .c or .h code.  Some of the .cf files
use them, but only to create another define that is set automatically on
an intel architecture system.  My conclusion is that these are
unnecessary for a standard XFree build.  I did not check the DRI code
yet, but that will be a separate section of XFree chapter on BLFS.

> Ya looks very good, however i'd make a note in the Video Drivers section
> that you really only need to build the drivers for your specific card plus a
> few
> extra just for safety.  ie.
>
> #define XF86CardDrivers 	mga \
> AgpGartDrivers DevelDrivers \
> vesa vga XF86OSCardDrivers
>
> And thats because I use the matrox drivers.  Also the UseMatroxHal is
> only needed by matrox cards, i'm fairly sure it doesnt hurt to build the
> mga_hal.o but... well its your cpu cycles ;-)
>
> One last thing to mention would be the building of the lates kernel DRM
> drivers.  Some times the drm will fail to load properly for some cards,
> so you can build the lates kernel drivers from within the xc directory
> tree somewhere... Unfortunatly i'm suffering in the worl of Windows atm
> otherwise i'd look it up for you... A quick $ find . | grep kernel should
> find the right directory...  If you cant find it just give us a hollar,
> either on IRC
> (when I finally get back there :-() or via follow-up email.

Thanks, I was going to do someting similar.  I should have something
ready for BLFS sometime later this week.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org