BLFS Chapter 5 ALSA suggestions/corrections

Justin Knierim jrknierim at jrknierim.com
Tue Apr 30 01:05:08 PDT 2002

Hello,

I was using BLFS CVS 2002-04-28 and would like to make a couple corrections
for the install of ALSA.  Please excuse me if these suggestions have already
been made.

In chapter 5, Installing ALSA:

After the script to start/stop/restart ALSA, the chmod line is incorrect.
In the book:  chmod 755 /etc/init.d/alsa
Corrected:  chmod 755 /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsa
Reason:  incorrect path to alsa file

I experienced a problem with alsactl first not loading the sound card
drivers, because it could not read the /etc/asound.conf file.  And because
the drivers were not loaded, it would not save anything to the
/etc/asound.conf file.  If it was manually created, (using "touch
/etc/asound.conf" and "chmod 755 /etc/asound.conf"), then alsactl would
error because it could not parse the file.  It might be an obvious solution,
but it might help people to have it in the BLFS book:

first run "alsamixer" and set the correct volumes you would like, then exit
then run "alsactl -f /etc/asound.conf store"
alsactl would then correctly write to the asound.conf file.

This might not be the best solution, but it was the only solution I could
find in my case.

Justin Knierim
Siegen, Germany

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org