minor remarks on BLFS-BOOK-CVS-2002-04-01

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 28 17:06:18 PDT 2002

On Wed, 03, Apr, 2002 at 04:38:39PM +0200, Pascal Moucheront spoke thus..
> a)  For people having FTP access only, it is sometimes difficult to find a
> mirror.
> Couldn't you add a FTP download url , for example:
> chapter 4
> lcms      ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/lcms-1.08.tar.gz
> libpng    ftp://swrinde.nde.swri.edu/pub/png/src/libpng-1.2.1.tar.gz
> libmng   ftp://ftp.win.ne.jp/pub/graphics/libmng-1.0.3.tar.gz
> chapter5
> db
> ftp://ftp.lip6.fr/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/bdb/db-4.0.14.tar.gz
That's a fair point.  I think I'll leave it for now.  I'm not happy at
all with how we display the information at the moment anyways (URL,
download size, version, compile size).

Currently it's in (IIRC):
tags which is blatently wrong.

I've been trying for a while to think about this and I'm heading towards
changing it but I'm not sure what to.  Has anyone any thoughts on this
part?  When we do change this, we should also wherever possible add ftp
and http download sites at the same time [after all, the LFS book
contains ftp and http sites].  If anyone has time to dig into the
docbook spec and find out what would be appropriate for this bit, I'd be
grateful.

I also want to change how the dependencies are laid out.  I think we
should do them as an itemizedlist:

<para>XXX depends on:</para>

<itemizedlist>

</para>

That look OK to everyone?

> b)  man pages doesn't install for
> libpng
> 	cp libpng.3 /usr/share/man/man3
> 	cp libpngpf.3 /usr/share/man/man3
> 	cp png.5 /usr/share/man/man5
OK.  Thanks, I've fixed this.

> libmng
> 	cp doc/man/libmng.3 /usr/share/man/man3
> 	cp doc/man/mng.5 /usr/share/man/man5
> 	cp doc/man/jng.5 /usr/share/man/man5
Fixed.

> c) CFLAGS is defined in the scripts/makefile.linux for libpng, so make
> CC="gcc $CFLAGS" may lead to duplicate gcc options
Unlikely to harm things.  The way we do it also makes sure that the
libpng specific options; such as -funroll-loops will override things in
your provided $CFLAGS.

Thanks

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org