Daemontools, install commands

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 28 16:45:32 PDT 2002

On Fri, 29, Mar, 2002 at 10:46:02PM +0100, Stefan Krah spoke thus..
> Hi,
>
> I have two suggestions for the daemontools chapter in the BLFS book:
>
> 1)
> After using the install commands for daemontools, I found that svscanboot
> still contains the path /command/svc. (/command should be replaced by
> /usr/sbin, IMHO.)
>
> This worked for me:
>
> Replace:  "rm svscanboot~ &&"
> by     :  "sed 's|command|usr/sbin|' svscanboot > svscanboot~ &&
>            mv svscanboot~ svscanboot &&"
>
> So the full commands would be:
>
> cd admin/daemontools-0.76 &&
> package/compile &&
> cd package &&
> sed 's|command|usr/sbin|' boot.inittab > boot.inittab~ &&
> mv boot.inittab~ boot.inittab &&
> cd ../command &&
> sed 's|/command:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:||' svscanboot > svscanboot~ &&
> sed 's|/service|/etc/service|g' svscanboot~ > svscanboot &&
> sed 's|command|usr/sbin|' svscanboot > svscanboot~ &&
> mv svscanboot~ svscanboot &&
> cp * /usr/sbin &&
> cd ../package &&
> cat /etc/inittab boot.inittab > /etc/inittab~ &&
> mv -f /etc/inittab~ /etc/inittab &&
> kill -HUP 1
>

> 2)
> Another suggestion: Include the (semi-official) manpages, which can be
> obtained at ftp://ftp.innominate.org/gpa/djb/ - Installation is trivial,
> I think the link would be enough.
This brings up a slight issue with daemontools.

I don't use them; never have, probably never will (though I know enough
never to say totally never).

Jeff, who wrote the instructions for daemontools, uscpi-tcp etc [the DJB
things] is unfortunately no longer with us on BLFS.  Therefore, I need
someone who knows these packages to take on the instructions or I'm
going to have to consider dropping them (as you know, I have little
enough time as it is otherwise I'd be happy to take them on).

Can I have a volunteer and, if not, how many people will cry if I drop
the instructions.

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org