objprelink submission

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Apr 28 16:40:10 PDT 2002

On Fri, 26, Apr, 2002 at 10:47:44AM -0500, Larry Lawrence spoke thus..
> > Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee wrote:
> >> Yo,
> >>

> >> I don't see a problem with adding objprelink itself.  But modifying the
> >> default qt instructions...especially when you have to use qt-copy,
> >> intead of the official qt sources, well.. c'mon now.
Hmm. I have objprelink working with the standard official qt sources
here.

> What is required to do this WITHOUT using qt-copy?  The patch on the
> objprelink website is very simple for QT3, but it's six months old.  Do we
> know how many changes were made between qt and qt-copy?  Do we know that
> KDE will keep up qt-copy so a patch could be maintained? Can the patch be
> implemented with Makefile overrides?
>
> Minor issues: Will objprelink be maintained?  Why does trolltech avoid
> objprelink?
OK.  Here's my take on this.  I think we should do it in a similar
manner to the KDE hint.  Give people the standard instructions; discuss
what objprelink means and who can use it (x86 users only IIRC) and then
show how to do it with a warning that those who use it get to keep both
pieces if it breaks (like with everything really).

Reasoning: Objprelink makes KDE a *hell* of a lot faster in my
experience so I'd like to introduce people to the idea.  Maybe also link
to a web page which explains it [I have the URL of one somewhere].

In general, I'd also like to see more URL links out to linuxdoc.org
[or whatever the domain is now; tldp.org I think] and other places to
give people good starting points to learn outside of LFS.

Sound good?

Mark

markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org