Chapter 8 postfix suggested enhancement. (fwd)

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmcs.com
Thu Apr 25 08:32:32 PDT 2002

Same brain cell - still inoperable.

Bill

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 09:56:38 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bill Maltby LFS Related <lfsbill at wlmcs.com>
To: Beyond LFS Support <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
Subject: Chapter 8 postfix suggested enhancement.

Hi Folks,

Using cvs 20020402, chapter 8 postfix install contains the
following sed script.

   sed "71 s/inet/unix/" /etc/postfix/master.cf.bak > \
           /etc/postfix/master.cf

It works just fine, but makes the script sensitive to a
simple change in relative position of the target input
line. This increases work load and risk of failure.

I would like to suggest a minor change along these lines.

   sed '/^smtp.*smtpd$/s/inet/unix/' /etc/postfix/master.cf.bak > \
           /etc/postfix/master.cf

Note also the change of double quotes to single to assure that
path expansion is not done by the shell.

This operation then becomes insensitive to position within the
file. Also, one might want to allow for 0 or more space at the
end of the line, although that might be considered by some who
have more faith in ppl than do I, to be overkill.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org