XFree86 host.def

Jesse Tie-Ten-Quee highos at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Apr 24 22:49:19 PDT 2002

Yo,

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:38:30AM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been looking at the suggested host.def file and I want to put some
> of it into the X section of the book, however I have comments that I'd
> like to discuss before I do it.  My comments are in [brackets].  There
> are probably changes due to the release of 4.2.  Note that version 4.2
> builds fine without any host.def file.  I welcome discussion.

You've never had to make your own host.def.  However, the default
host.def is well..default.  It works, but it pays off to make your own
host.def.

> #define LinuxMachineDefines  -D__i686 -D__i686__ -D__pentiumpro
> -D__pentiumpro__
>
> [Why should we do this?  The -march switch above should take care of it.]

Hrm, these look like extra flags to pass to the compiler for extra
optimization in C code.  Like the they problably have #ifndef's in the
code which check to see if these are set.. just a guess thou ;)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org