dhcpd configuration

DJ Lucas dj_me at swbell.net
Wed Apr 24 13:15:28 PDT 2002

Hello,

dhclient does not require that you run ifconfig eth0 down exactly..  you can
use the the -r flag. This won't kill the daemon, however it will release the
IP correctly, and down the interface.   Hope this helps...better yet why not
force the use of the full path in the variable name, and force that the
script uses the correct flags for downing the interface?  It would require
only one more variable in ifconfig.ethX and no if/then statemenst in
ifdown.ethX.  For instance...(untested of course) ifup is "$DHCP_PROG
$DHCP_OPT ethX"  and ifdown uses "$DHCP_PROG $DHCP_STOP ethX".

Here even easier.....cause I'm too confused on how to explain it..I just
show what I was thinking..heck..I might not even be on the same page as
ya'll...but here anyways.  I don't know if the syntax is correct below, it's
just what was on the brain.

# Begin /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig.eth0
# dhcpcd version
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_PROG="/usr/sbin/dhcpcd"
DHCP_OPT=
DHCP_STOP="-k"

# End /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig.eth0

# Begin /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig.eth0
# dhclient version
ONBOOT=yes
DHCP_PROG="/usr/sbin/dhclient"
DHCP_OPT="-q"
DHCP_STOP="-r"
# End /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifconfig.eth0

# Begin /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup.eth0
#! /bin/sh
source /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
source /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0
echo -n "Bringing up the eth0 interface via DHCP..."
$DHCP_PROG $DHCP_OPT eth0
evaluate_retval
# End /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifup.eth0

# Begin /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifdown.eth0
#! /bin/sh
source /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
source /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifconfig.eth0
echo "Bringing down the eth0 interface..."
$DHCP_PROG $DHCP_STOP eth0
evaluate_retval
# End /etc/sysconfig/network-devices/ifdown.eth0

This way you don't even have to run the if and extract the prog name from
the path.  Does this work??  I mean we have to force the users to use the
full path for DHCP_PROG.  WAIT..I don't know if it kills the pid for
dhclient..I'm assuming it does not, but it might do it...or that might have
been a waste of time for me to write that...lol..  Oh well.

Hope maybe that helped (or confused) some of you ;-),

D.J. Lucas
dj_me at swbell.net