XFree86 4.2

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Mon Apr 22 15:06:06 PDT 2002

Larry Lawrence wrote:

>>Looked over my 4.2 using host.def referred to by Mark.  DRI is included so
>>appropriate modules were built.  It builds a range of modules, looks like
>>upgrading becomes as easy as changing XF86Config (we'll let mark test
>>this).
>>

> The modules for DRI (kernel/char/drm) were built when I compiled the kernel,
> so my comment on building a range of modules is inaccurate for X 4.2.
>

>>I did not modify any X scripts and a startx command loaded the module (no
>>entry in modules.conf), so you should not need a init script.

The rules for compiling DRI are basically at:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/DRIcomp.html

I was going to use that plus my notes plus the X hints to write the BLFS
chapter for X.  I will also look at Mark's host.def file and merge
everything together.  The complication seems to be on the Voodoo cards.
  They need a little extra.

I need to work with the system a little more to check out the module
the r128.o module for me.

I have a Rage 128 Pro that I bought last week just for DRI ($38 at the
local computer show).  For a benchmark, glxgears gives me about 500 FPS
at default size and ~30 FPS at full screen (1600 x 1200).

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org