XFree86 4.2

Larry Lawrence llawre_ at excite.com
Mon Apr 22 12:36:37 PDT 2002

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> Thoughts?
>
> A second matter has to do with modules.  I generally don't use modules,
> but prefer to compile them into the kernel.  However DRI has a module,
> in my case r128.o that needs to be added via insmod before X starts up.
>   I'm thinking the best way is to do that in a init script.  I don't
> think it ever needs to be unloaded. The script can be a one liner (OK 2)
> that does insmod and is loaded last as S99dri in rc{2-5}.d.
> Comments?
>
>    -- Bruce

Looked over my 4.2 using host.def referred to by Mark.  DRI is included so
appropriate modules were built.  It builds a range of modules, looks like
upgrading becomes as easy as changing XF86Config (we'll let mark test
this).

I did not modify any X scripts and a startx command loaded the module (no
entry in modules.conf), so you should not need a init script.

Hope this helps.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org